So, after some chaos and (costly) eagerness on my point, I rented a car for the weekend. The plan was to get out of Germany, likely driving to the Netherlands. But no one was capable of actually going on Saturday. So I let the reservation pass. I woke up on Sunday and realized I could still have the car for the day, without having to pay for a hotel (maximizing my sunk costs, while minimizing my marginal costs - for all you economists out there - consumer surplus).
I went to the airport (walking first to pick up my bike from the office) and rented the car. It took a moment to adjust to driving again, but it felt good. I exited the parking garage in "my" BMW and hit the streets. I took some secondary highways leaving Düsseldorf, to enjoy the sunny weather. There was some traffic toward Oberhausen so I wound around. I chose as my first destination Emmerich.
I then tried to find the Dutch border along the Rhine but no sign there. Anyway, I drove toward Amsterdam. Found myself in Muiden, where I pulled over to glimpse at Muiderslot, a nice castle situated just over the highway.
Then I made my way to Zaandam, where there are some cool buildings, including the "famous" stacked green hotel in the center. Not too far away is Zaanse Schans, a traditional Dutch town. I rushed around as the sun was setting, then drove to the closest beach I could find, which was just behind Castricum. Unfortunately clouds had rolled in, so the warm sunny day I was blessed with did not extend to the beach. Oh well, that doesn't mean I can stop by Amsterdam at least!
I found a Park and Ride, but it was not connected; so I drove to another P&R that I was familiar with, and I visited Amsterdam for 30 minutes! :)
Drove back, hitting 210km/h on the Autobahn once I crossed back into Germany.
What an amazing day!
I went to the airport (walking first to pick up my bike from the office) and rented the car. It took a moment to adjust to driving again, but it felt good. I exited the parking garage in "my" BMW and hit the streets. I took some secondary highways leaving Düsseldorf, to enjoy the sunny weather. There was some traffic toward Oberhausen so I wound around. I chose as my first destination Emmerich.
I then tried to find the Dutch border along the Rhine but no sign there. Anyway, I drove toward Amsterdam. Found myself in Muiden, where I pulled over to glimpse at Muiderslot, a nice castle situated just over the highway.
Then I made my way to Zaandam, where there are some cool buildings, including the "famous" stacked green hotel in the center. Not too far away is Zaanse Schans, a traditional Dutch town. I rushed around as the sun was setting, then drove to the closest beach I could find, which was just behind Castricum. Unfortunately clouds had rolled in, so the warm sunny day I was blessed with did not extend to the beach. Oh well, that doesn't mean I can stop by Amsterdam at least!
I found a Park and Ride, but it was not connected; so I drove to another P&R that I was familiar with, and I visited Amsterdam for 30 minutes! :)
Drove back, hitting 210km/h on the Autobahn once I crossed back into Germany.
What an amazing day!
0 responses to "One-Day One-Person Road Trip"
Leave a Reply