"You think you know, but you have no idea..."
Trying to capture everything I do, futile as it may be.

About

I keep a small notebook by my side and do my best to keep a log of my day-to-day activities. This is the result.

I'm at my apartment in San Francisco. It's pretty boring today. I don't have much work. I ate the leftover pad thai from yesterday. I'm trying to keep under my daily calorie limit of 1570 each day.

I did exercise this morning - a quick jog around Precita/the Mission. Dan stayed over, and he left for class at 8:30am (still too early for him). I was awake at 07:03 with my alarm and the sunlight.

It rained slightly last night. Alex watched the Netflix Fyre Festival documentary as I cooked and Dan arrived to help. I don't know why I sometimes act ungrateful for Dan's presence; it's something I should work on. As I approach my 32nd birthday, I would like to be more mature, especially when I drink.

Plans for tonight: Trivia in SOMA. It's a place I haven't been to before: Southside Spirit House. Dan and the 885 crew (Russell, John at least) will be there. Ryan too. Cassie is a "maybe." Ben has track. Emily is busy (comedy show).

Recapping the last few weeks - a lot has happened. I am still working the freelance life, still optimistic. Thanks to Right Side Up, it's very likely that I'll be placed at Plastiq starting soon. It's a good match for my skills, and the income will be really good for me.

For much of the last month, I was in LA. My mom and uncle were in Japan on a cruise (which was really fun for them). I drove them to the airport, then drove myself (by myself) to SF where I stayed for a few days. It was slightly stressful to always remember to move my car each day (thanks SF street parking restrictions!), but it was also nice to be able to have a car. On that Friday (March 22nd), Dan and I drove south along the 101. It was a nice drive for me; Dan found it too long. We stopped in Salinas, Paso Robles, SLO, and Solvang.

Saturday, March 23rd: Dan and I started with breakfast at Division 3 (yum breakfast biscuits!). Then, we drove to Downey's Porto's (which was packed as expected) to buy a bunch of pastries to bring to Juan's. There, we hung out for the afternoon and grilled delicious food. JJ arrived, as well as Billy and Brian. Adriana was there and she and Dan began baking Easter basket cupcakes. They turned out magnificent! Night came and we drove to Santa Ana to party at the gay club there (which wasn't as crazy as WeHo but still not a bad experience).

Sunday, March 24: The plan was Sunday Funday. Since we had space at our house, Juan would stay over the night (and he had an interview the next morning). Juan arrived, then we went to dim sum in Chinatown (Golden Dragon) and I then drove us all to WeHo. The drinking devolved and at Revolver Dan saw a guy and said "he's exactly Russell's type." I snapped a surreptitious photo and texted it to Russell. Russell was flustered and bemused, and he was so enraptured that he bought a flight right then and there to come to LA the following weekend!

Monday, March 25: Juan stayed over. We were all tired and slightly hungover, so I drove the three of us to Silver Lake to jog and break a sweat. Juan left for his interview. Dan and I just went to Glendale, wehre we walked around the Galleria and up and down Brand Blvd. Alex Samuels spotted us walking down the street. Back home, we cooked asparagus and stuffing.

Tuesday, March 26: Woke up early and dropped off the BMW at the mechanic on Verdugo (by St Bernard's, then got some work done. In the afternoon (3pm) we drove to Manhattan Beach. Dan and I walked around the pier and got an acai bowl. Then, I drove us along the coast (Hermosa, Redondo) and all the way around Palos Verdes peninsula. It was my first time making that scenic drive; the hills were beautifully green with wildflowers blooming everywhere. We made it to San Pedro, where we checked out the Korean Friendship Bell and explored the Sunken City for a few quick minutes. Then we drove to Long Beach where we met Jenn and Ray for dinner at a Cambodian restuarant. The company was good, but some of the food was too stinky for my taste (fermented crab? eww).

Wednesday, March 27: Worked in the morning. Decided to have a public transit day - parked my car at Lincoln/Cypress. We then went to Langers for lunch (pastrami!) then through Koreatown to Little Ethiopia (Dan wanted to buy coffee for a friend in the Bay Area). We then went to the Grove, got slightly kicked off the roof of the parking garage. Took the bus back to Koreatown, then the metro back to my car, and drove to Alhambra. Our dinner plans were with Leslie and Anthony - we ate at Tokyo Fried Chicken, which was delicious (and popular!). Finished the evening with some wine and Schitts Creek back home.

Thursday, March 28: Walked to the mechanic to pick up the car. Dan and I had another public transit day, taking Metro to downtown LA. We got some ramen in Little Tokyo (in the shopping mall) then walked around the Arts District. For dinner, we met Michelle in Koreatown (at Oo-Kook). While there, I chatted with Russell, whom I guided into my SF apartment to pick up my contact lenses.

Friday, March 29: Woke up too early (6am) to make it to Walt Disney Concert Hall for our 6:45am private tour. Manuel, who showed us around, had built the organ himself. It was a lovely experience, getting to see Dan perform the magnificent and opulent organ overlooking the modern concert hall. Afterwards (8:30am) Dan and I got breakfast at Millie's Cafe. That evening, we went to Burbank Airport to pick up Russell. I then drove us home (stopping at Zankou for dinner) and then we were all off to WeHo. We had the standard rotation of bars (Trunks, Saddles, Beaches) and finished right before 2am.

Saturday, March 30: I got up and went for a run (to Eagle Rock and back) before we got moving. We went to Santa Monica, hung out on the beach for an hour or so, then I drove us to Venice where we walked around, slightly rushed because I had to get Dan to Burbank Airport. Thankfully, traffic wasn't that bad (I took the 405 all the way to the 118 to the 5) and made it there just in time. After that, Russell and I went to Alhambra to get Kogi Tacos (great!). Then back home, I decided that we'd go out in DTLA. I drove us, found parking right on Spring and 5th (!) and we had a drink at Redline. Then we went to Precinct, which was hosting a party (Bonkerz?) with special booths, drag queens, and an artsy carnival like atmosphere. It was lots of fun. Also, Honey Davenport was there!

Sunday, March 31: Russell and I had a public transit day. We walked around Union Square/Olvera Street, then took the Red Line to Hollywood, where we hiked Runyon Canyon. Then we went to Little Ethiopia for lunch where I introduced Russell to the deliciousness that is Ethiopian cuisine. We stopped by LACMA, took a bus to Beverly Hills (walked Rodeo Drive) then made our way to WeHo for Sunday Funday. (We didn't end up in Silver Lake at all, despite our plan to make it to the beer bust at Eagle and/or Faultline). Chapel - Hi Tops - Revolver. Somehow I made it home.

Monday, April 1: Drove Russell to the airport for his 8:45 flight to San Jose. I reactivated my Instagram account. I began my April resolution to record all my calories.

Tuesday, April 2: Stayed home most of the day (catching up on rest and work). Afternoon/early evening walked all the way into Eagle Rock (Yosemite) and got Tommy's on the way home.

Wednesday, April 3: Jogged in the morning. Got a breakfast burrito at Delia's on York (lots of college students there). Drove to LAX in the evening to pick up my mom and uncle at 7pm (their flight was an hour delayed). God, LAX is so busy and such a mess. We got dinner at Paco's Tacos on La Tijera/Manchester.

Thursday, April 4: Stayed at home; drove to the Eagle Rock Plaza with my uncle. Watched Drag Race in the evening.

Friday, April 5: Went with my mom to Burbank to shop for a space heater (did not find it, either at Bed Bath & Beyond nor at Sears). We stopped at Super King (on the Burbank/Glendale border)and bought some fruits (including eggplant for me to cook eggplant tofu). Marc C arrived in LA (he drove from the Bay) and so I met him in WeHo that evening. We started early (7pm) at Trunks, grabbed Guisado's, then back to Gym Bar and finally Flaming Saddles. Didn't stay too late; probably finished around midnight.

Saturday, April 6: It's Kevin's birthday celebration! I picked up Michelle and we then took the Metro to the Foodie Con which was happening just south of DTLA along the Blue Line. There, we met Kevin and Angela, Adrian and Priscilla, Todd, Ryan, and Vincent. We sampled many kinds of modern/trendy food as well as plenty of alcohol (wine, whisky, and sake). Then, we traveled to Koreatown where we planned to get burgers, but that plan changed when we spotted Cafe Jack (a Titanic-themed restaurant) next door! We all ate sushi. Then walked (stopping by A&P's car) to the karaoke place just down the street.

Sunday, April 7: It's James's birthday celebration! I parked my car in DTLA (for tonight) and took the bus to WeHo and met the group for brunch at Tortilla Republic. Because I was a few minutes late, I sat with (other) James, Joey, and Ross. Also met Erikah and Breezee. I had like 5 mimosas and the day became drunker from there. We went to Chapel, and there was Dan! He flew in from SF immediately after work and went straight into funday. It was fun and messy. Marc also joined, but he was a little more sober and somber. Somehow Dan and I made it back to dtla to the Disney Concert Hall in time for the performance. I had to leave to the bathroom twice (once to vomit, thankfully it made me feel much better).

Monday, April 8: Woke up too early (again!) around 6am to drive Dan to the airport at 6:30 for his 7:40 flight. I chilled at home before going back to Burbank airport (again!) that afternoon around 3 for my 4pm flight.

Tuesday, April 9: Getting back into my SF routine. Cooking, cleaning around the apartment. Doing work. Going for afternoon podcast walks. I made pad thai for dinner. Dan stayed over.

Wednesday, April 10: It's Alex H's birthday. Also James T's birthday. I walked around Bernal Heights in the afternoon. Walked to Dan's in the evening, we had Thai vegetable curry.

Thursday, April 11: Walked back to my apartment. Both my scheduled calls today couldn't make it - rescheduled for tomorrow. I sorted out and paid my quarterly taxes (whew! but also ouch! It cost me $4000). Walked around Noe Valley (as far up as Grand View/22nd) in the evening. Went to The Edge to watch Drag Race - there was Alex G and Walls. Jorge was also there, wearing only a jock strap, to sell jello shots for his latest cause. The sound wasn't good for watching the show. Wouldn't recommend.

Friday, April 12: Made savory french toast (with avocado) for my breakfast. Had work - a call with Plastiq (rescheduled from yesterday) that went well! My other call - with Beth T (consulting) didn't even respond. It was a sunny day, so I walked around the Mission, and into Dolores Park. That evening, Russell had planned a Frozen and frozĂ© night where we watched the movie and drank the frozen wine. Was surprisingly pleasant. Dan stayed over.

Saturday, April 13: Dan and I made French toast (sweet) for breakfast. Then 885 wanted to have brunch together, so we gathered at Al's Cafe on Mission/29th. Then, the plan was to go to Dolo. So we gathered things from our respective apartments and took the J from 885 to the park. It was crowded and relatively warm, but we found a spot on the northwest side of the gay beach. I was wearing my Andrew Christian cap for sun protection. There, we were joined by Walls and Tae, and several guys from the gaybros group. There was Shayan (whom Dan had apparently hooked up with before). We all went to Old Jerusalem restaurant for dinner. Then, not wanting the day to end, I hosted everyone back at my apartment, where we played Joteria (gay Mexican bingo) and ended up watching La Casa de Flores. I decided to sleep with Dan at his place that night.

Sunday, April 14: Woke up early and left with Dan (he went to work). I stopped at the Manila Oriental Market and bought several items. I chilled at home for two hours, then I left and walked to St John's, where I met Dan. We then took the bus to Japantown, where we were to meet Cassy and Leslie and Anthony. However, the Cherry Blossom Festival was happening, and everywhere in Japantown was packed. We couldn't make it to Marafuku Ramen (waitlist was closed) so we instead went to Pa'ina lounge to eat greasy food and have a drink while catching up. Was nice. Unfortunately I had to leave relatively quickly to make it to Cassie's apartment. Dan and I walked (stopping by Safeway) to Hayes Valley. I tried to catch up Dan as much as possible with GoT on the way there, but he was quite uninterested. But still, it was nice to see Cassie and her colleagues. Soon it was time for complete silence - Game of Thrones's final season was beginning! The episode was as I expected, except it was only one hour (I thought all episodes would be long!). After hanging around a little bit (with two of Cassie's coworkers - Scott and Lon (?)), I walked to Church, hopped on the J, and made my way to 885. There, Colin had cooked Jambalaya (which was good - I just had to avoid the shrimps). Everyone was tired and sleepy, so Dan and I walked home.

Monday, April 15: Tax Day (irrelevant to me, since I had already filed/paid my taxes). I had several things to catch up with each of my work projects. I went for a walk in the early afternoon (before the rain was scheduled to come in), as far as 17th/Bryant. I stopped by Grocery Outlet on the way back, but unfortunately I couldn't find any trash bags (!). Still, I bought a few things. Dan had class until late (7:30pm) and then came over. I wasn't planning to eat dinner, but since I had all the ingredients, I made another pad thai as Alex was there watching the Netflix Fyre Festival doc.

0 responses to "2019 April 16 | Tuesday (and a Full Recap, Including Spring Break)"

Leave a Reply