Over a month since my last post... Ooops.
How can I recap? Christmas was celebrated with my friends and colleagues at trivago (2 nights at the 2 trivago flats). I was a bit stressed trying to get gifts for everyone, especially for Mike, because I wanted to buy him 4 gifts (Christmas, birthday from me, birthday from the office, housewarming, and for getting a traineeship at work), but in the end it all worked out.
Mike celebrated his birthday in the NL but returned the day after. I "surprised" him with Lisa and Julia, but I think he expected it and was not actually surprised. Jojo showed up, as well as Dieter (his friend from Montreal) and Caro. (I think that there is something going on here, because Mike told me that he spent the night with Caro in the NL, and he said that "someone was staying over" that night. I thought it would be a one night thing, but he has kept texting her.)
Anyway, then came New Years. I took the slow regional trains (the cheapest option) to Berlin with Eliz, Antonis, and her friend Kubra. We had an amazing apartment in Friedrichshain. I loved the neighborhood, and I loved the vibe of Berlin overall. It was really more impressive now that I have lived in (relatively boring) Düsseldorf for 8 months.
The 3 days in Berlin were mostly spent meeting up with people - Mike and Merlin (who kind of did their own thing for the most part, sadly); Tod; Felix and his friend; Maria and her friends; Marina and Milica; Ricardo, Rob, Ricardo; Isabella, and Desi; Manuel and Eva (who met us at Rosi's after midnight on New Years); and Tatiana and Daniel. Whew!
The actual celebration of New Years at Brandenburg Gate was a bit disappointing; crowded and no big fireworks show. I was most impressed by the fireworks that people were shooting off in this streets - everywhere! The next day, the streets of Berlin looked like a war zone with rubbish and broken glass everywhere. Antonis and I stayed one more night to travel back on the 2nd with Mike. It was not as fun as the journey to Berlin, though: the entire time was spent on our phones instead of with each other. (That is one implicit resolution I have, to limit my time chatting on my phone.)
And I should also list my actual resolutions:
1. Do not complain. Focus on the positive things in life. Be a positive influence in the lives of the people around me. If I have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all
2. Take my job more seriously. Be more professional. Be at the office by 9am each day. Don't distract myself. Dress professionally (collared shirt at least) at work.
3. Pay off at least one of my student loans. Put all my extra money toward paying those loans down.
4. Make friends from outside trivago. Meet one non-trivago person per month.
5. Travel to one new country. (As always.)
6. Celebrate my birthday weekend with a long trip.
Back to work; things have suddenly become much busier after the new year. Numbers are good. Lots of new clients want to get in touch. I desperately need an intern!
I helped Mike finish writing his thesis. That was on the 5th, and it was the last time that we actually hung out with each other.
The weather has been good; above freezing, sometimes above 10C, which is great for January. I really look forward to longer days and warmer weather!
On the 11th, I joined 8 coworkers on a 1-night trip to Amsterdam. We took a Czech bus that took 5 hours but gave us a tv screen at each seat and complimentary tea/coffee. We spent the entire time in Amsterdam hopping between coffeeshops :) Our hotel was not very good and located far away. But it was cheap.
I GOT MY WALLET BACK! I got a letter from the Ordnungsamt (thinking it was from my little police incident a few weeks ago) but it was great news. I reclaimed the wallet, which of course had no cash but at least had my drivers license in it!
Last week (Jan 13), sections of the office moved to the new building. The company is growing, which is great. However, we are now separated.
On Friday afternoon, my team moved to new seats, next to where we were previously.
Yesterday I did my usual shopping at REWE in the morning (I was up around 9am). Did some laundry. Went to the office in the afternoon - Muhilan was also there. I sat at my new desk, hung up my flag, and patiently waited for the slow Internet connection to load.
In the end, I ditched Ralph's birthday party and just stayed in Düsseldorf. I went to Rob and Sabrina's party instead. This was cool. I ended up staying until 5:30am, smoking in Rob's room. Laughing at Nick and Jean, who are quite the comedians.
Sunday (today) I got up around 11am, did some quick laundry and cooked up some curry and rice (to use up my chicken before it expired). I rushed to get ready and to the office by 3pm. (Badr's daughter and her grandpa were at the flat when I left.)
I biked to the office and met my coworkers. A few minutes later, Thomas pulled up in the 9-seater van and we were off to Winterberg!
Carl and I were hungover and tired, so most of the 2-hour ride was silent for us. However, Paula, Amelie, and Victoria were chatty in the back seats. (Maybe on the way back the guys should sit there and be the Backseat Boys!)
We arrived at the resort (Dorint) and I had to pee. We each got our own room which is spacious with a kitchen (?!) and a door to the outside courtyard.
Had drinks (in a rotating booth) then dinner then tried to do go kart racing but it was already booked for the night. So we had another drink and retired :) (dude, the word "retired" is just short for "really tired"?!)
0 responses to "Sunday, 19 January 2014; Catch Up"
Leave a Reply