I was up early today. I had told everyone that I was going to go to Notting Hill Carnival today, so I had planned to wake up early, go to the library, and then meet Fernanda and her coworkers/friends around lunchtime there.
So was the plan. But honestly, I just didn't feel like it, so I decided to go my own way.
I jogged, showered, and had a veggie chicken burger before heading out at 11:00. Swag was still asleep, and Mike had gone to Tesco. I was itching to get out of the house anyway. (I think jogging everyday has finally given me more energy!)
I took the tube to Notting Hill Gate, which was exit-only today for the carnival, and rightfully so - it was a mad mess trying to get out through the station. I followed the crowds down a few blocks until loud booms of music could be heard. Really loud. There was a DJ playing reggae mixes on the street, and there were food stalls everywhere. Smoke rose from the myriad Caribbean food stalls. I didn't realize what kind of festival this would be - I thought it was just a small, random parade fitting with the posh nature of Notting Hill. But it was a full-on Jamaican/Caribbean celebration. Even though I was there early, the streets were filling up and half of the people were drinking cans of beer (Red Stripe, obviously, being the popular choice).
I strolled around and thought, "what the hell," and I bought a plate of jerk chicken with rice. It was yummy, and I paid with all the change in my wallet (which meant that I paid £6.94 instead of £7.00 - saving £0.06; haha, deal!). I walked, trying to eat at the same time, and turned the corner just beyond the Notting Hill Bookstore. There was a crowd gathered around a group that was emerging from a church. Some people were on stilts, some were banging drums, some were holding giant towering costumes, and they were all dressed in flowy, colorful outfits with their faces painted. It was random but cool. I finished my chicken and walked around some more, turning north and discovering another center of activity, where the Trinidad and Tobago truck was rolling through and there were more festively dressed partiers.
I took some more pictures, then started walking back to Holland Park station, where I caught the tube to LSE.
I ran into Ankit on the staircase in the library, and we caught up briefly. There, at my go-to computer area, was Elena. And so here I am, working on my dissertation, tying to get it organized into something coherent and acceptable!
0 responses to "Notting Hill Carnival"
Leave a Reply