Sunday, 8 June 2014
Kiesgrube Sonntag!
Went to Neuss with Mike and Jeroen. We walked 20 minutes to find the Kiesgrube (an outdoor music/alternative festival). At the entrance, we met Kila, Franco, Didem, Olus and her brother! It was a warm sunny day; perfect to be outside. Actually a bit too warm perhaps. We planted ourselves in the shade and threw money in a pot to buy rounds of beers. Later, Nick, Katie, and Jojo joined us. Francesco and Toby could not get in! WTF.
Monday, 9 June 2014
It's Pfingsten, which is a public holiday. It was also extremely hot, so we spent the day at the lake. Instead of going to Unterbacher See, Mike, Lisa, Toby, and I biked to Elbsee, which was nearby (and free). However, it was not easy to get to. We met Iris there and we tried to find a place, pushing our bikes through mud and dense vegetation. Katie, Nick, and Jojo came in Jojo's car and met us there. We were roasting in the hot sun! But the lake water was thankfully very cool and refreshing.
The evening saw one of the worst storms in Germany's history tear through Düsseldorf. And I was in the middle of it. Biking home, and out of nowhere - BOOM! - howling winds, torrential rains (as if I was standing under a waterfall. My bike was blown out of my hands and tree branches were falling all around me. I had to take shelter, so I ran (completely soaked) to Mike's apartment just three blocks away. There, I rode out the storm with Mike and Toby. I took off all my soaked clothes, and there we sat, in awe at the unbelievable storm that was pummeling the city.
I left around 10pm, after the storm had passed. I picked up my bike. The streets were littered with the remnants of trees. Jacobistraße was blocked. It was unbelievable.
Tuesday, 14 June 2014
Back to work. Or sort of. The streets were (of course) covered with downed trees. The trams and U-Bahn were not running. I could not bike easily. The little park was a jungle/warzone. I had to go on the street in several points.
This week my "detox" is to give up worrying about the past or about the future. It's a bit of a BS choice, since I couldn't go vegetarian just yet (BBQ this week)
During Lunch, I bought a sandwich from the bakery with Jojo. As we were walking back, a TV crew asked to film us. We were thus on TV that evening! (ZDF)
Thursday, 12 June 2014
Work.
WORLD CUP OPENER! Went to Ratinger with Francesco. Toby and Mike joined us to watch Brazil defeat Croatia. The bars were not so crowded, but it won't be that way on the weekend (or when Germany plays).
Friday, 13 June 2014
World Cup Brunch
Team Event BBQ / Band (The Roomers) / Katie's Goodbye / Netherlands defeats Spain 5-1!!!!!
Music: Two Door Cinema Club - Changing of the Seasons
Germans (Europeans) like to follow the rules; Americans are taught to challenge/break the rules.
Kiesgrube Sonntag!
Went to Neuss with Mike and Jeroen. We walked 20 minutes to find the Kiesgrube (an outdoor music/alternative festival). At the entrance, we met Kila, Franco, Didem, Olus and her brother! It was a warm sunny day; perfect to be outside. Actually a bit too warm perhaps. We planted ourselves in the shade and threw money in a pot to buy rounds of beers. Later, Nick, Katie, and Jojo joined us. Francesco and Toby could not get in! WTF.
Monday, 9 June 2014
It's Pfingsten, which is a public holiday. It was also extremely hot, so we spent the day at the lake. Instead of going to Unterbacher See, Mike, Lisa, Toby, and I biked to Elbsee, which was nearby (and free). However, it was not easy to get to. We met Iris there and we tried to find a place, pushing our bikes through mud and dense vegetation. Katie, Nick, and Jojo came in Jojo's car and met us there. We were roasting in the hot sun! But the lake water was thankfully very cool and refreshing.
The evening saw one of the worst storms in Germany's history tear through Düsseldorf. And I was in the middle of it. Biking home, and out of nowhere - BOOM! - howling winds, torrential rains (as if I was standing under a waterfall. My bike was blown out of my hands and tree branches were falling all around me. I had to take shelter, so I ran (completely soaked) to Mike's apartment just three blocks away. There, I rode out the storm with Mike and Toby. I took off all my soaked clothes, and there we sat, in awe at the unbelievable storm that was pummeling the city.
I left around 10pm, after the storm had passed. I picked up my bike. The streets were littered with the remnants of trees. Jacobistraße was blocked. It was unbelievable.
Tuesday, 14 June 2014
Back to work. Or sort of. The streets were (of course) covered with downed trees. The trams and U-Bahn were not running. I could not bike easily. The little park was a jungle/warzone. I had to go on the street in several points.
This week my "detox" is to give up worrying about the past or about the future. It's a bit of a BS choice, since I couldn't go vegetarian just yet (BBQ this week)
During Lunch, I bought a sandwich from the bakery with Jojo. As we were walking back, a TV crew asked to film us. We were thus on TV that evening! (ZDF)
Thursday, 12 June 2014
Work.
WORLD CUP OPENER! Went to Ratinger with Francesco. Toby and Mike joined us to watch Brazil defeat Croatia. The bars were not so crowded, but it won't be that way on the weekend (or when Germany plays).
Friday, 13 June 2014
World Cup Brunch
Team Event BBQ / Band (The Roomers) / Katie's Goodbye / Netherlands defeats Spain 5-1!!!!!
Music: Two Door Cinema Club - Changing of the Seasons
Germans (Europeans) like to follow the rules; Americans are taught to challenge/break the rules.
0 responses to "The Post-Apocalyptic Week: June 9-13, 2014"
Leave a Reply