It has been exactly 10 years since I first came to Germany during my high school exchange in Hamburg. Partly to commemorate this anniversary, but largely because I just wanted to get out of Düsseldorf, I traveled back to Hamburg this weekend.
I left Düsseldorf Friday evening, finishing work shortly after 5pm and stopping by my flat before catching my rideshare at 7pm. The driver was Markus, who works in a bike supershop on the outskirts of Düsseldorf. Also in the car were Sylvia from Barcelona, who works at Henkel alongside Malin from Paris. And there was Jannina from Korschenbroich (Martin's neighbor).
We were slow getting out of Düsseldorf because the navi wasn't working and we got on the wrong autobahn. We were relying on my phone to navigate, which drained the battery quickly. Finally we got the navi to work. Which involved cutting through Bochum. There were also some strong rainstorms along the way. I fell asleep, Markus drove along to his house/trance music (daft punk remixes) and by 11:30 we were in Hamburg.
Matze picked me up from Dammtor and walked me to his flat nearby. His regular flatmates were away for the summer, so there are two temporary renters staying there: Mikhail who works as a show presenter, and Stefan who is doing a work placement. Matze is still studying his international program and working as the de facto program director.
We drank, including shots of Pfefferlinge, then headed out to the Reeperbahn. Mikhail and his friends were all going to a one day metal/heavy rock festival the next day. We started with Mexikaner shots at Hamburger Berg, then Matze and I lost at kicker and bought Jägermeister. Finally we ended up at the 99 Cent bar near Herbertstraße.
Returned drunkenly somehow to the flat at 4:30am-ish. Mikhail immediately passed out, while Matze and I smoked a bit before going to bed together. I was surprised by what happened.
It was around 2pm when we were awake and up again. Matze made pasta with red pesto because that is all he had. It was too late for Stefan to make it to the museum as he had wanted. So we just went into the city "for a coffee". We took a bus to Junfernstieg, walked around some posh areas, then went into a brew house and had some beer, which was good :).
Stopped for a fischbrotchen in the Europa-Passage then took the U4 to the new Hafen City area. The uni building was still under construction, and we walked through a couple construction sites along the way.
We walked, admiring the modern architecture. Decided on the way back to make burgers for dinner :). Walking back, Stefan saw a Cuban bar near home and got a strong craving for mojitos. We bought burger ingredients at Edeka and returned home to cook them. Was nice. I put avocados in the burgers.
We chilled, finishing our food then having beers while watching Schlag den Star. Matze's friend Jan joined us and to smoke. We went to the Cuban bar, but they were just out of mint so couldn't make any more mojitos. So I had a daiquiri natural which was strong but the drinks all cost € 7.50.
We got some beers from the kiosk and met Tina and Stephan (Matze's co-students) there. We all walked to the Sternschanze, buying beers in a pizza store and then making our way to the Grüne Jäger bar where we danced for some time. A group of more girls/classmates joined us. The music sucked, so we left after about an hour there. We walked to Hamburger Berg and continued the evening. In one bar, they were playing Blink-182 and Oasis, and there we had some Mexikaners and ran into Nicky McC from work! What a small world, and I always run into people here! :)
Continued at Sommerstudio or whatever. It was packed. It was 4am and people were going home. We had lost Stefan to KFC. We took the U-Bahn back, saying bye to the girls in the process, and walked home. Stefan was in the U-Bahn with us. Same as the night before, Matze and I smoked up and then went to bed together.
Got up at 10:30 due to my alarm. Matze missed his 12pm appointment, so I said bye and found my Rideshare which was leaving from U-Mundsburg. There was a lot of traffic on the ride back, and I was too tired to make conversation with either Reike (the driver who is a teacher) or Asaf (?). We were delayed over an hour due to the traffic backup.
0 responses to "A Spontaneous Weekend in Hamburg - August 15-17, 2014"
Leave a Reply