Friday, 12 April 2013
I left Duisburg and moved into the company-owned flat in Düsseldorf. I made two trips - the first in the morning (while Martin was teaching). It was a nice day so I had a lamacun from the shop around the corner, which I ate in the park. It started sprinkling rain. I returned to Duisburg, meeting Martin at his place. We made burgers (very oily and missing many ingredients such as lettuce and mayo).
We played tennis. Indoors. And I made a fool of myself. Rain began to pour down. It cost €11 per person. Blah.
I then left, with just my backpack of stuff left to carry to the flat. No one was there. I watched TV for a few hours - a behind-the-scenes of South Park, some news, and some Family Guy. I went to bed and then heard everyone return. They were drinking at the office (it was Friday, after all). I met Francesco, Italian/English, from Glasgow. And there was Danny from Denmark, and Todd, Bulgarian but raised in Germany. Danny starts work on Monday as well.
Saturday, 13 April 2013
Danny and I went to the flea market in the south of town. We looked for bikes, shopping for a while before finally choosing a cheap bike each. Mine cost €30 and is a single-speed. But it works.
We (Francesco, Todd, Danny, and I) walked to REWE to stock up on food supplies.
Jan came to visit! He drove from Mainz to see me and to compile his reportage. He accompanied me to my flat viewing in Friedrichstadt. The flatmate, Lars, seemed nice at first but then became increasingly uncomfortable and asked us to delete the pictures we were taking. What a loser. Jan and I kept making fun of him the rest of the day.
Returned to the flat (Jan forgot his wallet) and then we took the tram into the city. Walked around the Altstadt, and we ate at Space Burger, which has a crazy selection of hamburgers but the burger itself was overcooked and on the dry side. We walked, in the warm afternoon sun, along the river, past the Rheinturm to the Medienhafen. We were now craving ice cream, and we walked to an Eismacher (so my phone said) but it wasn't there. At the tram stop, there was a froyo shop which would do.
We returned to the Altstadt and had an Alt bier at Uerige; the beer was more bitter than I remember, bleh.
Back at the flat, Jan conducted his "interview" of me. Francesco was cooking. Jan stayed until around midnight, helping me eat my chocolate bunny, then drove home.
Sunday, 14 April 2013
It was a warm and sunny day. I woke up around 9am and wrote an essay for a travel writing contest. The winning writer gets $500, and the previous years' winners did not seem as well-written as my writing, so I actually think I have a shot. I wrote about my experiences trying to get a UK visa.
Around 2:30pm, I went out for a bike ride. I went past the office to the Rhine and saw all the people enjoying the first "warm" day of the year. It actually felt somewhat humid in the sun. I biked to the Nordpark, taking pictures here and there.
Returned to the apartment, watched several episodes of HIMYM, snacked on bread and leberwurst, and watched some of the football game (AC Milan vs Napoli 1:1). I put a frozen pizza in the oven.
I start work tomorrow!!!! Exciting! Hope I enjoy it - but let's not expect too much! :)
Search
Archives
-
▼
2013
(142)
-
▼
April
(21)
- Second Week of Work and the Play Hard Weekend
- Monday, 22 April 2013
- Not Much Happened: Fri - Sun 19-21 April 2013
- Starting Work: Tues - Thurs, 16-18 April 2013
- First Day of Work. Monday, 15 April 2013
- The Weekend Before Work. April 12-14, 2013
- Thursday, 11 April 2013. Officially a Düsseldorfer
- Wednesday, 10 April 2013. Duisburg day
- Tuesday, 9 April 2013
- Monday, 8 April 2013. Flat in Medienhafen
- Sunday, 7 April 2013. Flat viewing day
- Saturday, 6 April 2013. To Duisburg
- Friday, 5 April 2013. Let the Flat Viewing Begin
- Thursday, 4 April 2013. Bayreuth - Nuremberg - Bam...
- Wednesday, 3 April 2013. Bayreuth.
- Tuesday, 2 April 2013. Bayreuth
- Easter Monday/April Fool's Day 2013-04-01
- Sunday, 31 March 2013. Easter Sunday in Bayreuth
- Saturday, 30 March 2013. Mondsee-Salzburg-Munich-B...
- Friday, 29 March 2013. In Mondsee
- Thursday, 28 March 2013. To Austria
-
▼
April
(21)
Categories
- daily log (500)
- from phone (3)
- ideas (2)
- London (45)
- North Carolina (1)
- photos (2)
- quotation (2)
- travel (1)
- update (1)
- weather (2)
0 responses to "The Weekend Before Work. April 12-14, 2013"
Leave a Reply