"You think you know, but you have no idea..."
Trying to capture everything I do, futile as it may be.

About

I keep a small notebook by my side and do my best to keep a log of my day-to-day activities. This is the result.


Last night I got an email from Susan saying that “I have some difficult news to share with you.” My heart sank and I knew what it could be. I scheduled a call with her at 10am to discuss specifically what it was. And so it was exactly as I had feared: The company could not sponsor a visa for me. There was no way that they could make it work unless I was a permanent employee, and by policy the do not offer permanent job offers to new hires.

After so much excitement and celebration, it came to this. Another disappointment. Yet I wasn’t angry or  frustrated as I had been in the past; I came to just accept it. Susan did tell me that they really wanted me to join (in fact, they cancelled all other interviews after talking to me). I would have a couple great recommendations  if I wanted to take a position based in the US. (And it’s something that I’m considering…). Otherwise, I had the other job interview to hear from on Monday, so there’s still a little (very little) hope that that may go forward.

Roeline was cleaning. She didn’t have work today so she would be cleaning the house. I helped her move a cabinet downstairs because there was a section of carpet being replaced (due to water damage).

Mike and I walked to the grocery store area. I bought contact lens solution. Mike and I had some food and drink (hot chocolate and a sandwich with saté sauce for me; an apple tart and coffee for Mike). We then went to Albert Heijn, where I bought stroopwafels and a bottle of wine for Coen and Roeline.

It was cold. I'm glad that it was just a short walk.

We had dinner somewhat later than normal. Friday, so pizza day. The only pizza they had was tuna (yuck), Hawaii (pineapples? no way!), or funghi (eww/meh). We decided to walk back to Albert Heijn and I bought myself a pizza (spicy pepperoni) there. Roeline cooked it with bell peppers. Yum. During dinner, Coen somewhat called me out for not holding my glass of wine correctly - wtf?

Mike and I had a beer and watched Silver Linings Playbook, which Mike did not really enjoy (at first) but I could relate to. We got ready and then went out. It was cold, so I wore an extra pair of shorts under my green jeans. We biked into the city and started at Cafe/bar Fiji. Naturally, we were checking out the girls. Soon, Roy and his girlfriend Laura joined us. We got a couple more rounds of beers before heading out to another bar. Mike had on his mind that I would be singing karaoke, so we went to a place that allegedly had karaoke. But no one was singing; it was just playing house/pop/dance music. I met a girl named Angela, but with the music and her limited English skills, communicating with her was a problem.

It was like 2am, and we were tired (and had to get up in the morning), so we went home. But not before we got kebabs (which were somewhat salty) and each of us peeing in a pop-up urinal in the square.

Biking back in the cold (it must have been -4°) was a little tough; I just wanted to be home. So naturally, I knocked out.

0 responses to "Friday, 22 February 2013"

Leave a Reply