Life as a Weekend
Last night (Tuesday) I went out for Ethiopian food with Petri & Leena; it was fantastic and they loved it (so did I)! Then, looking for a place to go and people to meet up with, we ended up going to Westwood Brewing Company (in, er, Westwood), where we met Joel and Drew (who I was gonna host but couldn't)
Westwood Brewing Co. was something of a surprise:
- I never go to that "side" of Westwood (if you could call it that), so it's surprising to find such a nice bar there!
- Tuesday night is quiz night! I may return on another Tuesday to win some prizes!
- ALL DRINKS, from beer to Long Islands, cost $4.50. Now that is a good deal.
- There was a club upstairs! And it was packed! Every shallow-hearted (and anorexic!) girl in Westwood seemed to be out, and the guys weren't far behind, ready to pounce with the signature "washing machine"!
I drove Drew and Joel back to their dingy hotel in Hollywood.
Wednesday - and no work! After 9 long days, I really needed this day. I slept in, drove Matt to class around 11, returned and made breakfast/brunch with Petri. We finally headed out, around 1:30, to Manhattan Beach. It had just "rained" (i.e. sprinkled) in the morning, but the sky was clear, the air fresh and crisp, and the wind blowing. The surf was also way up - the waves were ferociously pounding the pier and battering the beach; they were probably 10-15 feet high at times.
Yes, it was pretty chilly at the beach, but it was pleasant in the Sun. Lounged around for about an hour, checking out beach houses. There were a few people jogging along the beach and I think I saw the starting line of a 5K or 10K (people were jogging off in groups at regular intervals). We walked back to the car, Petri grabbed a coffee from Coffee Bean, and headed back up the coast to the apartment.
It was around 5pm, and we quickly got ready to get to Korean BBQ. Setting out around 5:45pm, of course we hit traffic, even though we were cruising down Olympic. We stuffed our face at Hae Jang Chon. I had to love tap both cars in order to get into/out of my parking space.
The food was amazing, but took a while. It was already 8pm when we left for the free concert/ice skating in downtown LA, which I had been trying to get people to come out to all day! Matthew was already food comatose, so he just dropped us off. We missed the first band, but caught the second, who I think was Le Switch (but it could have been The World Record). Kim was already there. It was great to skate around to live music, but the band finished about 30 minutes before the skating did :/
Made our way afterwards to the Broadway Bar, but not after an unpleasant run-in with a local homeless guy. Here's a tip, kids: Don't ever be nice to anyone ever! Even if it's just giving a homeless guy a couple coins, because he will then chase you down the street and assault your female friends because he wants a dollar not coins!!! Luckily, Kim and I reverted to the (slightly more adult version of the) Dora the Explorer defense: NO RAPIST NO!!! And he shirked away.

Children show self-defense FTW!
So yeah, the bar was empty, except for us. We got one drink and high-tailed it out of there. They were filming something on the streets nearby, so there was an eerie green light along 7th, and what looked like a Formula-1 racetrack was set up. Kim was nice enough to drive us back to the apt, and it was soon nighty-night.
Songs: Rise Against; Naked Eyes - Always Something There to Remind Me
0 responses to "Wednesday - My Day Off (1/13/10)"
Leave a Reply